Who is the best shipping Carrier in Boston MA?
This is Million dollar question! each of these giant corporations spends millions of dollars to gauge your opinion and gain your trust when it comes to shipping your package, from sponsoring Nascar cars to Super Bowl and massive TV ad campaign. Let’s face it, they cannot all be the best carrier for your next shipment. Some of them are better than others and have mastered their particular networks. Who should you use for shipping, DHL, U.S Postal Service, UPS or FedEx? Being in Retail shipping business industry for over a decade, we get this question often. People always seem to be confused by the options. Plus you get everyone telling you different things about the pluses and minuses of their favorite carrier. If you throw the customer representatives who call your phone into the mix, you will be extremely confused about making your shipping carrier decision.
So here is our simple and short answer to the question: it depends! Let me give you some insight that I have gained during my tenure at FedEx, DHL and Neighborhood Parcel. We ship hundreds of packages each and every week. We have tried all of them exclusively at one time or another in our business. Not only did we ship with USPS, UPS, DHL and FedEx, but we also did use TNT as well. So we have run the gambit for all of the major players in the shipping industry.
None of them are perfect! all have opportunities but each excel in a niche of the business, so lets start with the worst one of them based on feedback from our customers and our own experience in shipping with these carriers:
Compare U.S Shipping Carriers
- US Postal Service : Delivering more mail to more addresses and to a larger geographic area than any other postal service in the world. No other organization gets mail delivery as correct as the US Mail does. They are not perfect but they have been delivering mail to American homes for nearly 200 years, you can not do better than that! If you have something that fits in a envelope or bubble mailer, use the U.S Mail for the best in class service. From a recent survey, we discovered that tracking shipment is not accurate, delivery time is never what is promised mostly for international mail. The loss and claim process is worst! Often consumers will complain of lack of customer service, appreciation of the business and someone who can take ownership of the problem. So we say ship with the post office if you can afford to replace the merchandise. On time performance based on our recent survey: 23% Great for letters, small packages and low value items.
- UPS: UPS has established itself as the primary package carrier in the USA. Up until the 1980’s, their core business was package delivery via Ground and Air. There is simply no better package carrier in the US. So they are by far my favorite for Ground Packages. They master the freight and ground shipping, recommended for heavy and bulky packages that are not time sensitive. On Time delivery is around 63%
- FedEx: Federal Express slogan “When it absolutely has to be there overnight”. They ran with that campaign and established one of the best overnight delivery services in the business. And up till now, no one can do overnight as well as FedEx can. By far, this is the best carrier that we recommend for time sensitive items that must be there on time or the world will collapse! 92% On Time delivery of the shipment, super accurate tracking and billing system. This is true for both Ground and Express services, however, they are not the cheapest so you pay for quality.
- DHL Express: In 1969, Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom and Robert Lynn (D, H, and L) founded DHL as a service shuttling bills of lading between San Francisco and Honolulu. The company grew rapidly and in a few years initiated service to the Philippines, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia, creating an entirely new industry of international door-to-door express service. We say that for international shipping, DHL got it! They have the best network to Asia, Europe and Africa. Nobody can beat they on-time delivery and reliability.
In few words..
- If you are shipping small packages with low value and low budget: use the US Post Office.
- If you are shipping bulky, heavy items, use UPS Ground and UPS Freight.
- If You are shipping packages for overnight express delivery, use FedEx Express.
- If You are shipping overseas and want to do it right: use DHL, spend more but get it done once!
- For packages that have a low budget but must be there: Use FedEx Ground, most cases they are cheaper than the Post Office Rates mostly if they are large.
Best Shipping Carrier
Jeff Andrews. Andover MA
The Post Office is no longer the cheapest option! They keep raising their postage rates and sometimes it is better to ship with FedEx and UPS because they have a much better online tracking system, very time-definite delivery date, and most shipments include a $100 insurance built into their rates. I love this comparison, but I think for domestic shipments, FedEx is the most reliable and DHL is the best option for International Shipments. Bulky items can always go via UPS but I would never use the Post Office.